failed to built xemacs port on FreeBSD
KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
2016-04-30 12:02:08 UTC
Hi, all

I've made up xemacs port on FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT(1100098)
and try to build. But failed to byte-compile to all *.el in
lisp direcitory after binary built.

(snip)
/usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24/src/../lisp/update-elc.el...
/usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24/lisp/dumped-lisp.el...
Wrote
/usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24/src/NEEDTODUMP
rm -f lisp/auto-autoloads.el
/usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24/src/xemacs -batch -no-autoloads -l autoload -f batch-update-directory
lisp
^C
===> Compilation failed unexpectedly.
***@desktop:/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs # Try to set
MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes and rebuild before reporting the
failure to
the maintainer.

Correctly to say, stop to hang up at execute below:

xemacs -batch -no-autoloads -l autoload -f batch-update-directory

and break out by C-c. To do same commandline in working
directory, then

***@desktop:/usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24# ./src/xemacs -batch -no-autoloads -l autoload -f batch-update-directory lisp
Symbol's function definition is void:
kana-keyboard-define-keys
xemacs exiting
.
***@desktop:/usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24#

Is there any suggestion?

***@t:~ % uname -aK
FreeBSD t.pis 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #4: Wed Mar 23 10:12:11 JST 2016 ***@t.pis:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XIJ amd64 1100098
***@t:~ %

Whole build progress is logged and put it in [1].

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~kiri/xemacs/xemacs_build.log

Best Regards

---
KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
Stephen J. Turnbull
2016-04-30 23:16:50 UTC
Post by KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
Hi, all
I've made up xemacs port on FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT(1100098)
and try to build. But failed to byte-compile to all *.el in
lisp direcitory after binary built.
The error messages you provide are insufficient to diagnose the
problem. At a minimum, we need to know which file is failing to
compile. Normally each file's compilation process is reported quite
verbosely IIRC, but I don't see that. Are there any .elcs in the
build lisp/ directory?

Also, this:

Testing for Lisp shadows ...
This site has duplicate Lisp libraries with the same name.
If a locally-installed Lisp library overrides a library in the Emacs release,
that can cause trouble, and you should probably remove the locally-installed
version unless you know what you are doing.

is quite possibly the source of your problem.
KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
2016-05-01 02:02:42 UTC
Hi, Stephen

At Sun, 1 May 2016 08:16:50 +0900,
Post by Stephen J. Turnbull
Post by KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
Hi, all
I've made up xemacs port on FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT(1100098)
and try to build. But failed to byte-compile to all *.el in
lisp direcitory after binary built.
The error messages you provide are insufficient to diagnose the
problem. At a minimum, we need to know which file is failing to
compile. Normally each file's compilation process is reported quite
verbosely IIRC, but I don't see that. Are there any .elcs in the
build lisp/ directory?
I've up to [1] all stuffs at the time to cause hunged up.

[1] https://people.freebsd.org/~kiri/xemacs/xemacs-21.4.24/
Post by Stephen J. Turnbull
Testing for Lisp shadows ...
This site has duplicate Lisp libraries with the same name.
If a locally-installed Lisp library overrides a library in the Emacs release,
that can cause trouble, and you should probably remove the locally-installed
version unless you know what you are doing.
I already installed latin1 and mule lisp pakcages because
they need in build process in xemacs. They are below:

***@desktop:~ % pkg info -aI | grep xepkg
xepkg-c-support-1.22 Basic single-file add-ons for editing C code
xepkg-cc-mode-1.45 C,C++,Objective-C,Java,CORBA IDL,Pike and AWK language support
xepkg-debug-1.18 GUD, gdb, dbx debugging support
xepkg-dired-1.20 Manage file systems
xepkg-edict-1.17 Lisp Interface to EDICT, Kanji Dictionary
xepkg-edit-utils-2.43 Miscellaneous editor extensions
xepkg-efs-1.34 Treat files on remote systems the same as local files
xepkg-egg-its-1.27 Wnn (4.2 and 6) support. SJ3 support
xepkg-fsf-compat-1.19 FSF Emacs compatibility files
xepkg-latin-euro-standards-1.09 Support for the Latin{7,8,9,10} character sets and coding systems
xepkg-latin-unity-1.20 Find single ISO 8859 character set to encode a buffer
xepkg-latin1-1.0 Meta port for latin1 XEmacs pacakges
xepkg-leim-1.31 Quail. All non-English and non-Japanese language support
xepkg-locale-1.28 Localized menubars and localized splash screens
xepkg-lookup-1.15 Mule Dictionary support
xepkg-mail-lib-1.80 Fundamental lisp files for providing email support
xepkg-mule-1.0 Meta port for Mule XEmacs pacakges
xepkg-mule-base-1.56 Basic Mule support
xepkg-mule-ucs-1.18 Extended coding systems(including Unicode) for XEmacs
xepkg-net-utils-1.56 Miscellaneous Networking Utilities
xepkg-os-utils-1.41 Miscellaneous Operating System utilities
xepkg-prog-modes-2.20 Support for various programming languages
xepkg-skk-1.24 Japanese Language Input Method
xepkg-text-modes-1.98 Miscellaneous support for editing text files
xepkg-time-1.14 Display time and date on the modeline
***@desktop:~ %
[...]

Is that wrong?
KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
Stephen J. Turnbull
2016-05-01 10:13:57 UTC
Post by KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
I've up to [1] all stuffs at the time to cause hunged up.
[1] https://people.freebsd.org/~kiri/xemacs/xemacs-21.4.24/
OK, so some of the .elcs have been compiled, but not all. I'm not
sure why that is.
Post by KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
Post by Stephen J. Turnbull
Testing for Lisp shadows ...
OK, I think this is not a problem, after looking more closely at the
shadows.
Post by KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
I already installed latin1 and mule lisp pakcages because
Why do you think they are needed?

You should be able to bootstrap XEmacs with gcc and binutils, and any
system headers and libraries you want to link. You should not need
any packages installed.

It appears that your XEmacs thinks it needs kana-keyboard.el, which is
in the mule-base package, to run. I don't understand why; grepping
our 21.4 sources shows no references to that library. The reason the
installed package is not found on your system is the -no-autoloads
option in the build script (which is correct, it helps to prevent
shadowing problems).

I suspect this reference to code not included in the base XEmacs
distribution has something to do with non-XEmacs patches to your port,
but it's hard to say for sure.

Try "strings ./xemacs | grep kana-keyboard". If it doesn't show up
there, I'm not sure offhand what to say.

I'm going to be traveling for the next 4 days, and most likely unable
to read mail.
KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
2016-05-01 12:28:29 UTC
Post by KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
I already installed latin1 and mule lisp pakcages because
Why do you think they are needed?
The reason is that some lisp byte-compile during xemacs
build process stopped. Actually,if those packages deleted,
build stopped at update-elc.stamp(see [1]).

[1] https://people.freebsd.org/~kiri/xemacs/xemacs_build_error2.log
Post by Stephen J. Turnbull
You should be able to bootstrap XEmacs with gcc and binutils, and any
system headers and libraries you want to link. You should not need
any packages installed.
I'm groaning ;-\
Post by Stephen J. Turnbull
It appears that your XEmacs thinks it needs kana-keyboard.el, which is
in the mule-base package, to run. I don't understand why; grepping
our 21.4 sources shows no references to that library. The reason the
installed package is not found on your system is the -no-autoloads
option in the build script (which is correct, it helps to prevent
shadowing problems).
I suspect this reference to code not included in the base XEmacs
distribution has something to do with non-XEmacs patches to your port,
but it's hard to say for sure.
Ok, I've upped all patches in building xemacs on FreeBSD to
[2].

[2] https://people.freebsd.org/~kiri/ports/editors/xemacs/files/
Post by Stephen J. Turnbull
Try "strings ./xemacs | grep kana-keyboard". If it doesn't show up
there, I'm not sure offhand what to say.
Nothing to print:

#
Post by Stephen J. Turnbull
I'm going to be traveling for the next 4 days, and most likely unable
to read mail.
Ooops!

But have a nice travel ;-)
Post by Stephen J. Turnbull
---
KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
Sean MacLennan
2016-05-01 17:06:02 UTC
KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko,

When I am having weird lisp build problems with non-mule builds I
always make sure there are no mule elcs left lying around. I think this
is more a problem for 21.5 though.

So, after untarring the xemacs source, but before starting to build, cd
to the source and do something like:

find . -name \*.elc -delete

The make will always recompile all the lisp files for you... it doesn't
even take that long.

Cheers,
Sean
Mats Lidell
2016-05-01 21:42:48 UTC
Post by KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
The reason is that some lisp byte-compile during xemacs
build process stopped. Actually,if those packages deleted,
build stopped at update-elc.stamp(see [1]).
You could try with removing all elisp packages and files from your system
before building the XEmacs binary. XEmacs has a feature of changing the load
path that can interfere with the build process and cause strange errors. Maybe
this is one of these cases.

So if there are no other elisp files around, at lease in the standard places
where XEmacs looks for packages, this can't happen. If building this way work
then we are one step closer to solving your mystery!

Yours
%% Mats
KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
2016-05-03 03:24:58 UTC
Post by KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
I already installed latin1 and mule lisp pakcages because
Why do you think they are needed?
You should be able to bootstrap XEmacs with gcc and binutils, and any
system headers and libraries you want to link. You should not need
any packages installed.
I dont know why, but anyway src/xemacs binary wants any
*.elc in mule-base package.
Post by Stephen J. Turnbull
It appears that your XEmacs thinks it needs kana-keyboard.el, which is
in the mule-base package, to run. I don't understand why; grepping
our 21.4 sources shows no references to that library. The reason the
installed package is not found on your system is the -no-autoloads
option in the build script (which is correct, it helps to prevent
shadowing problems).
Without -no-autoloads option, passed building lisp stage in
lisp directory:

***@desktop:/usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24 # ./src/xemacs -batch -l autoload -f batch-update-directory lisp
Updating autoloads in directory /usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24/lisp...
Generating autoloads for lisp/abbrev.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/about.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/alist.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/apropos.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/auto-save.el
No autoloads found in lisp/auto-show.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/autoload.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/backquote.el
No autoloads found in lisp/blessmail.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/buff-menu.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/buffer.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/build-report.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/byte-optimize.el
No autoloads found in lisp/bytecomp-runtime.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/bytecomp.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/callers-of-rpt.el
No autoloads found in lisp/check-features.el
No autoloads found in lisp/cl-compat.el
No autoloads found in lisp/cl-extra.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/cl-macs.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/cl-seq.el
No autoloads found in lisp/cl.el
No autoloads found in lisp/cmdloop.el
No autoloads found in lisp/code-cmds.el
No autoloads found in lisp/code-files.el
No autoloads found in lisp/code-process.el
No autoloads found in lisp/coding.el
No autoloads found in lisp/compat.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/config.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/console.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/cus-dep.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/cus-edit.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/cus-face.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/cus-file.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/cus-load.el
No autoloads found in lisp/cus-start.el
No autoloads found in lisp/custom-load.el
No autoloads found in lisp/custom.el
No autoloads found in lisp/derived.el
No autoloads found in lisp/device.el
No autoloads found in lisp/dialog-gtk.el
No autoloads found in lisp/dialog-items.el
No autoloads found in lisp/dialog.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/disass.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/disp-table.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/dragdrop.el
No autoloads found in lisp/dump-paths.el
No autoloads found in lisp/dumped-lisp.el
No autoloads found in lisp/easy-mmode.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/easymenu.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/etags.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/events.el
No autoloads found in lisp/extents.el
No autoloads found in lisp/faces.el
No autoloads found in lisp/files-nomule.el
No autoloads found in lisp/files.el
No autoloads found in lisp/fill.el
No autoloads found in lisp/find-paths.el
No autoloads found in lisp/finder-inf.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/finder.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/float-sup.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/font-lock.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/font-menu.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/font.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/fontl-hooks.el
No autoloads found in lisp/format.el
No autoloads found in lisp/frame.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gdk.el
No autoloads found in lisp/generic-widgets.el
No autoloads found in lisp/glade.el
No autoloads found in lisp/glyphs.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gnome-widgets.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gnome.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/gnuserv.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/gpm.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-compose.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-extra.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-faces.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-ffi.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-file-dialog.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/gtk-font-menu.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-glyphs.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-init.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-iso8859-1.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-marshal.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-mouse.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-package.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-password-dialog.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-select.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-widget-accessors.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk-widgets.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gtk.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gui.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gutter-items.el
No autoloads found in lisp/gutter.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/help-macro.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/help-nomule.el
No autoloads found in lisp/help.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/hyper-apropos.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/indent.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/info.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/isearch-mode.el
No autoloads found in lisp/iso8859-1.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/itimer-autosave.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/itimer.el
No autoloads found in lisp/keydefs.el
No autoloads found in lisp/keymap.el
No autoloads found in lisp/ldap.el
No autoloads found in lisp/lib-complete.el
No autoloads found in lisp/lisp-mnt.el
No autoloads found in lisp/lisp-mode.el
No autoloads found in lisp/lisp.el
No autoloads found in lisp/list-mode.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/loaddefs.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/loadhist.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/loadup-el.el
No autoloads found in lisp/loadup.el
No autoloads found in lisp/make-docfile.el
No autoloads found in lisp/map-ynp.el
No autoloads found in lisp/menubar-items.el
No autoloads found in lisp/menubar.el
No autoloads found in lisp/minibuf.el
No autoloads found in lisp/misc.el
No autoloads found in lisp/mode-motion.el
No autoloads found in lisp/modeline.el
No autoloads found in lisp/mouse.el
No autoloads found in lisp/movemail.el
No autoloads found in lisp/msw-faces.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/msw-font-menu.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/msw-glyphs.el
No autoloads found in lisp/msw-init.el
No autoloads found in lisp/msw-mouse.el
No autoloads found in lisp/msw-select.el
No autoloads found in lisp/multicast.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/mwheel.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/objects.el
No autoloads found in lisp/obsolete.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/package-admin.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/package-get.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/package-info.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/package-net.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/package-ui.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/packages.el
No autoloads found in lisp/page.el
No autoloads found in lisp/paragraphs.el
No autoloads found in lisp/paths.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/picture.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/printer.el
No autoloads found in lisp/process.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/rect.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/register.el
No autoloads found in lisp/replace.el
No autoloads found in lisp/scrollbar.el
No autoloads found in lisp/select.el
No autoloads found in lisp/setup-paths.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/shadow.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/simple.el
No autoloads found in lisp/site-load.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/sound.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/specifier.el
No autoloads found in lisp/startup.el
No autoloads found in lisp/subr.el
No autoloads found in lisp/symbol-syntax.el
No autoloads found in lisp/symbols.el
No autoloads found in lisp/syntax.el
No autoloads found in lisp/text-mode.el
No autoloads found in lisp/text-props.el
No autoloads found in lisp/toolbar-items.el
No autoloads found in lisp/toolbar.el
No autoloads found in lisp/tty-init.el
No autoloads found in lisp/undo-stack.el
No autoloads found in lisp/update-elc-2.el
No autoloads found in lisp/update-elc.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/userlock.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/version.el
No autoloads found in lisp/very-early-lisp.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/view-less.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/wid-browse.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/wid-edit.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/widget.el
No autoloads found in lisp/widgets-gtk.el
No autoloads found in lisp/win32-native.el
No autoloads found in lisp/window-xemacs.el
No autoloads found in lisp/window.el
No autoloads found in lisp/x-compose.el
No autoloads found in lisp/x-faces.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/x-font-menu.el...
No autoloads found in lisp/x-init.el
No autoloads found in lisp/x-iso8859-1.el
No autoloads found in lisp/x-misc.el
No autoloads found in lisp/x-mouse.el
No autoloads found in lisp/x-scrollbar.el
No autoloads found in lisp/x-select.el
Generating autoloads for lisp/x-win-sun.el...
Generating autoloads for lisp/x-win-xfree86.el...
Saving file /usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24/lisp/auto-autoloads.el...
Wrote /usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24/lisp/auto-autoloads.el
Post by Stephen J. Turnbull
I suspect this reference to code not included in the base XEmacs
distribution has something to do with non-XEmacs patches to your port,
but it's hard to say for sure.
Try "strings ./xemacs | grep kana-keyboard". If it doesn't show up
there, I'm not sure offhand what to say.
I refer in lisp/*.el and lisp/*.elc, the results as follows:

***@desktop:/usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24 # find ./lisp -name '*.el' -type f -exec basename \{} .el \; | sort | uniq > /var/tmp/lisp_el.list
***@desktop:/usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24 # find ./lisp -name '*.elc' -type f -exec basename \{} .elc \; | sort | uniq > /var/tmp/lisp_elc.list
***@desktop:/usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24 # diff -u /var/tmp/lisp_el.list /var/tmp/lisp_elc.list
--- /var/tmp/lisp_el.list 2016-05-03 12:09:53.940130000 +0900
+++ /var/tmp/lisp_elc.list 2016-05-03 12:10:15.653743000 +0900
@@ -1,119 +1,54 @@
abbrev
-about
-alist
-apollo
-apropos
arabic
-AT386
auto-autoloads
auto-save
auto-show
-autoload
backquote
-bg-mouse
-blessmail
-bobcat
buff-menu
buffer
-build-report
-byte-optimize
bytecomp
bytecomp-runtime
-callers-of-rpt
-canna-leim
-check-features
chinese
cl
-cl-compat
cl-extra
-cl-macs
cl-seq
cmdloop
code-cmds
code-files
code-process
coding
-compat
-config
console
-cus-dep
-cus-edit
-cus-face
cus-file
-cus-load
cus-start
custom
-custom-load
cyrillic
derived
device
dialog
-dialog-gtk
dialog-items
-disass
-disp-table
-dragdrop
dump-paths
-dumped-lisp
-easy-mmode
easymenu
english
-etags
ethiopic
european
events
extents
faces
files
-files-nomule
fill
find-paths
-finder
-finder-inf
float-sup
-font
-font-lock
-font-menu
fontl-hooks
format
frame
-gdk
-generic-widgets
-glade
glyphs
-gnome
-gnome-widgets
-gnuserv
-gpm
greek
-gtk
-gtk-compose
-gtk-extra
-gtk-faces
-gtk-ffi
-gtk-file-dialog
-gtk-font-menu
-gtk-glyphs
-gtk-init
-gtk-iso8859-1
-gtk-marshal
-gtk-mouse
-gtk-package
-gtk-password-dialog
-gtk-select
-gtk-widget-accessors
-gtk-widgets
gui
gutter
gutter-items
hebrew
help
-help-macro
-help-nomule
-hyper-apropos
indent
-info
-internal
isearch-mode
iso8859-1
itimer
@@ -121,23 +56,15 @@
japanese
keydefs
keymap
-keyswap
kinsoku
korean
latin
-ldap
lib-complete
-linux
lisp
-lisp-mnt
lisp-mode
list-mode
-lk201
loaddefs
loadhist
-loadup
-loadup-el
-make-docfile
map-ynp
menubar
menubar-items
@@ -148,12 +75,6 @@
modeline
mouse
movemail
-msw-faces
-msw-font-menu
-msw-glyphs
-msw-init
-msw-mouse
-msw-select
mule-category
mule-ccl
mule-charset
@@ -165,42 +86,23 @@
mule-tty-init
mule-x-init
multicast
-mwheel
-news
objects
obsolete
-package-admin
-package-get
-package-info
-package-net
-package-ui
packages
page
paragraphs
paths
-pc-win
-picture
printer
process
-rect
register
replace
-scoansi
scrollbar
select
setup-paths
-shadow
simple
-site-load
-sound
specifier
startup
subr
-sun
-sun-mouse
-sup-mouse
-symbol-syntax
-symbols
syntax
text-mode
text-props
@@ -209,41 +111,14 @@
toolbar
toolbar-items
tty-init
-tvi970
undo-stack
-update-elc
-update-elc-2
-userlock
version
-very-early-lisp
viet-chars
vietnamese
-view-less
-vt-control
-vt100
-vt100-led
-vt102
-vt125
-vt200
-vt201
-vt220
-vt240
-vt300
-vt320
-vt400
-vt420
-wid-browse
-wid-edit
widget
-widgets-gtk
-win32-native
-win32-win
window
window-xemacs
-wyse50
-x-compose
x-faces
-x-font-menu
x-init
x-iso8859-1
x-misc
@@ -252,4 +127,3 @@
x-select
x-win-sun
x-win-xfree86
-xterm
***@desktop:/usr/portbuild/var/ports/homekxj/editors/xemacs/work/xemacs-21.4.24 #

IMHO, there are all *.el in lisp directory that allow all
options of configure. In fact, those include *.els with which
I don't specified in configure arguments. So xemacs could
not autoload those *.els. Is this wrong?
KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
Stephen J. Turnbull
2016-05-06 08:53:54 UTC
Post by KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
I dont know why, but anyway src/xemacs binary wants any
*.elc in mule-base package.
I think you're going to have to learn more about the changes made to
your port relative to our code. I can't reproduce with the code
straight from our repository, so it seems likely that some patch in
the FreeBSD port is responsible.
Post by KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
Without -no-autoloads option, passed building lisp stage in
That's probably because it can find the package mule files in the
packages. But that means that users trying to build the port have to
install the packages first, which should not be necessary. And if
they happen to have .elcs that were built with 21.5 in their packages,
that build command will fail because the bytecode has changed and so
compiled Lisp is protected with a version check.
Post by KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
Post by Stephen J. Turnbull
Try "strings ./xemacs | grep kana-keyboard". If it doesn't show up
there, I'm not sure offhand what to say.
That's not what I asked for. I know what is in lisp/ from the URL you
posted earlier, and I've already confirmed that it's what I expected.
So the problem is elsewhere. What I can't do without a lot of
unnecessary effort is build XEmacs 21.4 on your platform. You have
already done that to the point necessary, so please help me
investigate your XEmacs.

Please execute "strings ./xemacs | grep kana-keyboard" and tell me
whether there is any output, and if so, what it is. While I'm
thinking about it, I'd also like to know the output of
"strings ./xemacs | grep /mule", and if there is none, also the output
of "strings ./xemacs | grep mule" (same as before, but no slash before
"mule"). If you get a complaint that "xemacs" is not found, use
"temacs" instead.

Steve
KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
2016-05-06 12:02:58 UTC
Welcome home!, Stephen

Post by KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko
Post by Stephen J. Turnbull
[...]
All you've pointed out were right! I've made latest prune
FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT(r298951) and `make build' then there is
nothing to stop or hung up. And `make install', `make
package', `pkg delete -yf xemacs-21.4.24_6' and `pkg add
/var/ports/packages/All/xemacs-21.4.24_6.txz' are perfectly
done:-)

I'm ready to commit xepkg ports schime, and re-porting
xemacs back to FreeBSD ports tree. When everything done,
before send-pr to bugzilla of FreeBSD, I'll tell you what
about xemacs usage on FreeBSD with my xepkg ports schime.

Thanks for your courteous reply of my messy reports.

Best Regards

---
KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko